September 7, 2008

Grandmother Friendly Design

I was reading through the October issue of Dwell on my flight home this evening, and came across a great article entitled Salvage Love. The article is essentially about a recent college graduate and his after school plans. Which as opposed to some of the wonderful after college clichés, he decided to very simply build himself a home. Or, at least rebuild himself a home.

{logo and photos via Rural Theory}

He rebuilt the two bedroom Austin bungalow using almost exclusively salvaged materials, with a few of his own custom fabricated pieces as well. After doing so he founded his own design studio called Rural Theory, not a bad first year out of college if I do say so myself. Click here for the full story.

2 comments:

Brooke Williams said...

i read that article too, wasn't it great?! what a house, and i love all the re-used elements, especially those huge ceiling fans...

bran said...

I completely agree, the whole project came out wonderfully. They have an upcoming project according to their site, so I'm very excited to see that as well.